Hello angels how are you all today?
Today’s blog post I will pop into a short YouTube video to help express my tips easier – but let’s jump straight in, todays post is on braving the gym for the first, or second time and how to overcome that initial fear, or how to address those nerves and the scary gym when you are in there.
So my top tips are –
1. look around your local area or a far for gym – you can choose a local one to help you feel like you are not going to far away from home or look at a gym that’s quite far so you venture out away from your town and people you know so you are isolated sometimes this helps people.
2. View the gym you like online, see what it looks like, who works there what can it offer you.
3. Next send them a message online of your interest and express you are nervous, the people their should want to help you and welcome you.
4. Then book an induction, so you can meet the people there and view the gym before you train. You can then picture yourself there and know what to expect when you next go.
5. Take a friend with you. Someone who is also nervous and in the same boat, or take someone who knows the gym well and can actually show you some things.
6. Plan a specific time when you want to go,so you can plan in your head when you are going and also plan it so it is not around rush hour and make sure the gym is not so busy, you will then not feel so flustered or intimidated.
7. Write a workout out that you will do when you enter the gym, so you know exactly where to go, what to try so you do not panic an you do not get so lost and all over with it.
8. Meet a PT so you’re not alone at first visit and they can show you the gym how to use everything workouts to do and maybe do a session with you each week so you don’t lose your way.
9. If you really hate being seen, if you really get anxious about all the people, maybe fine an unpopular gym? Something not so amazing but you can start of at, if you need to this also mean it’s not so busy and maybe cheaper.
10. You could always not even attend a gym first time – don’t attend a gym and find a local 1;1 PT who have their own studio or come to your house instead before you start the gym, so you don’t have to brave it until you know you can and feel confident enough so.
11. Take music and your headphones so you in your own space and mind. Listen to what you like and shut everyone else out.
12. Start in your comfort zone start with the things you know you like and can do, and then venture out a few days//weeks in when you know the gym and the people and your way round.
13. Where clothes you are comfortable in, where your hair so it’s comfortable, I would not recommend wearing makeup but if you do get self-conscious and are so nervous where make up to help your self-esteem in the gym..
14. Take your phone and a water bottle when you feel like you’re getting anxious or nervous take a break, keep calm and restart when you’re ready.
– I will do another post in the future on how to venture into the weight area and to not be nervous of this part of the gym.
– for now try what you can and let me know what works.
– comment any other tips below that help you and can help others.
Much Love J x