Hey guys! Today’s topic is cramps. Who suffers from cramp? Who gets that’s weird sensation and sometimes terrible pain in a particular muscle? I know as an athlete I do and today I’m here to discuss it all.
A muscle cramp is a strong, painful contraction or tightening of a muscle that comes on suddenly and lasts from a few seconds to several minutes. It often occurs in the legs.
Nighttime leg cramps are usually sudden spasms, or tightening, of muscles in the calf. The muscle cramps can sometimes happen in the thigh or the foot. They often occur just as you are falling asleep or waking up, I suffer terribly with these!
- Cold compress – wrap an ice pack in a towel and hold on to muscle for 15 minutes at a time.
- Make sure you are eating healthy foods (especially if you are pregnant) that are rich in calcium, potassium, and magnesium.
- Ride a bike or stationary bike to condition and stretch your muscles.
- Don’t suddenly increase the amount of exercise you get. Increase your exercise a little each week.
- Repeat this cold compress every 2 hours if you can for a day or two.
- Drink water this is usually the key cause of cramps being dehydration so keep your water up up up.
- Deep heat my second love! – massage the warm/hot cream into muscle where you had cramp to help remove the tightness and lactic acid massage morning and night.
- Or any form of cream/moisturiser just to make massaging easier massage evening and morning helping blood flow and release of tightness and lactic acid.
- Massage roughly for 5 minutes, using thumbs and fingers create firm strokes.
- Hot baths – help relax and soak the muscle the heat can help ease the muscles.
- Cold baths – or ice baths: these can help repair the muscles, they can help after training to help muscle recover quicker.
- Stretching – stretch post warm up or work out always the muscles must go a through a thorough warm up, and stretching session to help prevent injury and cramps.
- Don’t suddenly increase the amount of exercise you do. Increase your exercise a little each week.
- To release cramp you can walk around, or jiggle your leg.
- Drink plenty of fluids and Sports drinks, such as Gatorade, will often help leg cramps.
Hope this helps anyone suffering and have a great day!
Much love J x