Hello ladies and gents, I’ve had lots of questions on the meaning of macro and micros lately I’m not going to go into deep depth of it all and how it’s works for each individual today as (1. that’s my job I get paid for that.. lol) and 2. it’s far too much to comprehend over a blog post but I think a brief info post on it will help a lot of you understand what these mean!! – Macro means macronutrients and micro is micronutrients so here are a few little facts..
- Macronutrients are the nutrients that give your body energy to perform essential functions.
- The word “macro” means large, and these nutrients are needed in large quantities.
- The three macronutrients are fats, carbohydrates, and proteins.
- Each of these nutrients provides calories and helps you carry out essential functions, converting food into energy, growing, repairing yourself, walking, and thinking.
- Each macronutrient is essential, and each provides a certain amount of calories.
- Fat is the most calorie dense nutrient, providing 9 calories per gram.
- Carbohydrates and protein both provide 4 calories per gram.
- Micronutrients are also essential to your body, but you need smaller amounts. Micronutrients are usually called vitamins and minerals.
- The word “micro” means small, so you need smaller amounts of micronutrients than of macronutrients.
- If your diet does not supply enough of the critical micronutrients, your body will use up any storage supplies of the vitamin or mineral and people can actually eat so much food that they become overweight or even obese, but if their diet is made up of over-processed “junk” food with little nutritional value, they could suffer from a nutritional deficiency. It is possible to be overweight and malnourished at the same time; that’s why it’s so important to understand basic nutritional principles.
Hope this helps some of you angels out there trying to get an understanding on this. Any questions please comment below.